So you just bought yourself a shiny new phone and want to pair your existing Apple Watch to play nicely with it. Having trouble?
Most iPhone users just reset their watch and start from scratch. However, if you want to keep all of that health and fitness data, there is a way to switch your watch to your new phone.
Backup and unpair Apple Watch
– Open the Watch app on the old iPhone
– Tap the My Watch tab
– Choose Apple Watch, then Unpair Apple Watch
– Hit Confirm, then enter Apple ID if asked.
Note: Make sure you keep your Apple Watch and old iPhone close together until the unpairing process has finished.
Only start this process if you are totally ready to start using your new phone.
Transfer your iPhone backup
– Back up your old phone to iCloud by going to Settings > iCloud > Backup.
– When setting up your new iPhone, choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
Note: This is only possible if you have enough backup space in your iCloud. You can always back up your phone to the computer and restore the new phone from there too.
Pair Apple Watch
– Open the Apple Watch iOS app
– Tap Start pairing
– Hold new phone over the animation
– Wait until you see the message ‘Your Apple Watch is Paired’
– On your new phone, choose Restore from backup and follow the prompts
If you run into problems, you can always check out Apple’s online support here.